Violence is the Normalizing Force

image

(from Alpha Flight #106 – 1992)

Violence is the normalizing force in mainstream comics. It is the POC or queer character’s willingness to do violence – the former against other POC to establish themselves as a “good” minority as opposed to the typical “bad” minority, the latter as a way to reinforce the presence of masculinity defined in large part by violence – that ingratiates them into a world that comic editors want us to know is 99% white and straight.  The remaining 1% punches its way into the mainstream – not by punching the white “heroes” that reinforce the status quo, but by punching other anomalous characters: the black, the brown, the poor, the gay, the disenfranchised – or ultimately, even themselves, as acceptance requires a willingness to endure the abuse these characters will eventually receive at the hands of mostly white writers.

2 thoughts on “Violence is the Normalizing Force

  1. Pingback: Black Goliath: “Some Black Super Dude” | The Middle Spaces

  2. Pingback: “Let’s Rewrite Some History”: Captain Marvel & Feminist Revisionism | The Middle Spaces

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s